Be careful when you take kerosene. A man in Harlem, N.Y., swallowed a wine glass full for sore throat and filled his pipe for a smoke. As he lighted it he saw a blue flame playing between the match and his lips, and felt a stinging sensation within his mouth and his throat. Hastily blowing on the match his breath ignited, and a ribbon of the flame extended the distance of a yard from his lips, while the burning within increased. He immediately closed his mouth and placed his fingers on his nostrils, thus extinguishing the flame. He believes that but for his presence of mind he would have met a terrible death. The Newton Kansan, Newton, Kansas. January 26, 1881. Page 2. (c) Transcribed by Darren McMannis for Prairie Wind Publications.