Burlington Woman Inhaled Flames

 BURLINGTON – Mrs. Mary Norton was badly burned on the left arm and also inhaled some of the flames at the home of her father today, when some gasoline exploded.  The kitchen was filled with flames but prompt action by Mr. Hamilton prevented a fire, although an alarm was turned in and the company responded.  The only thing burned was a curtain.  Mrs. Norton had been working with grapes and had just filled the gasoline tank, and had spilled a little of the gasoline on the stove.  When she lighted a match to start the fire again there was a flash.  The accident occurred just before 6 o’clock.  Her father happened to be at home, or she would probably have been fatally burned as her clothing was on fire, which Mr. Hamilton succeeded in extinguishing.  The Emporia Gazette, Emporia, Kansas.  Thursday, August 23, 1906.  (c) Transcribed by Darren McMannis for the Kansas Council of Genealogical Societies, Inc.